Ethical Data & Design
In this show, Laura Kalbag discusses the importance of ethical data and design for companies, and also the ways people can integrate this framework into their everyday lives. Laura defines ethical data and design in the following ways:
- Human Rights: Technology that respects human rights is decentralised, peer-to-peer, zero-knowledge, end-to-end encrypted, free and open source, interoperable, accessible, and sustainable. It respects and protects your civil liberties, reduces inequality, and benefits democracy.
- Human Effort: Technology that respects human effort is functional, convenient, and reliable. It is thoughtful and accommodating; not arrogant or demanding. It understands that you might be distracted or differently-abled. It respects the limited time you have on this planet.
- Human Experience: Technology that respects human experience is beautiful, magical, and delightful. It just works. It’s intuitive. It’s invisible. It recedes into the background of your life. It gives you joy. It empowers you with superpowers. It puts a smile on your face and makes your life better.
About Laura Kalbag
Laura Kalbag is a British designer, entrepreneur and author of the book Accessibility for Everyone. As one half of Ind.ie, a tiny social enterprise striving for social justice in the digital age, the organisation has an Ethical Design Manifesto and released their first publicly-available app, Better, last year. Laura strives to make privacy and broader ethics in technology accessible to a wide audience. As a regular speaker at conferences, Laura also writes CSS, nudges icon pixels, or distils privacy policies into something humans can understand.
Resources mentioned in the show
- Shoshana Zuboff – Surveillance Capitalism
- Android by Google
- William ‘Bill’ Binney
- Laura Kalbag
- Better Blocker
- Accessibility for Everyone
- Ethical Design Manifesto
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Latest posts by Lawrence Ampofo (see all)
- #118 The Recipe for Digital Wellbeing - 20th Jan 2019
- #117 How Gamification Helps You Reach Your Goals with Yukai Chou - 6th Jan 2019
- #116 The Ethical Tech Opportunity with Doug Clinton - 26th Dec 2018