Do you know how your data is being used? Are you aware of the various ways your behaviour is shaped by the services and apps you use every day? Our guest today from the Tactical Technology Collective takes you the current state of play around the ways people and companies relate to technology. Today’s speaker, Cade, takes you through the organisation’s work on the Data Detox, a toolkit that helps people to become more aware of their data selves and improve the quality of their digitised lives.
About Our Guest
As the project lead on the Data Detox project, Tactical Technology Collective, in association with Mozilla and The Glass Room, Cade works to help increase awareness of the impact that technology has on individual identity, and social cohesion.
Tactical Tech is a Berlin-based organisation working at the intersection of technology, human rights and civil liberties. They provide training, conduct research and create cultural interventions that contribute to the wider socio-political debate around digital security, privacy and the ethics of data.
Resources & Topics Mentioned In The Show
- Tactical Technology Collective
- Data Detox Kit
- Cade @ Tactical Technology Collective
- User Hostile Design / Weaponised Design
- Facebook Emotion Design Study: Editorial Expression of Concern and Correction
- Experimental evidence of massive-scale emotional contagion through social networks
- Snap Maps
- Snapchat launches less creepy Send and Request Location features
- General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
- Immune Booster
- Apple iCloud Photo Hack
- Those awful Facebook Year In Review videos are back, prepare yourself
- Wikipedia: Facebook–Cambridge Analytica data scandal
Latest posts by Lawrence Ampofo (see all)
- #133 Re-engineering Humanity with Brett Frischmann - 7th October 2019
- #132 A Less Algorithmic Human with Dan Nixon - 23rd September 2019
- #131 Scroll Free September with the Royal Society for Public Health - 15th September 2019